What We Do
Every parent-to-be in Northern Ireland hopes that their baby will be born healthy, but sadly:
- Of approximately 25,000 babies born here in one year
- 2037 episodes of neonatal care was provided for 1769 infants. (Nicore 2009)
- 80% of babies, who are born alive but die in the first 28 days of life, are born prematurely
- On average there are two stillbirths every week in Northern Ireland
- 1 in every 5 pregnancies ends in miscarriage
That’s why TinyLife exists and why our work is so important. As Northern Ireland’s only premature and vulnerable baby charity, we are dedicated to reducing illness, disability and death in babies born here and providing support for families who have been affected by such circumstances.
TinyLife does this through three core activities:
- providing practical and emotional support for parents and families with prematurely born babies and those requiring special or intensive care at birth
- funding research into
- Maternal and Child Health
- Family Support Services
- providing information to health professionals and parents-to-be to ensure that every pregnancy has the best chance of a healthy outcome and a healthy baby.
For more information on TinyLife’s support services visit Support for Families